The amazing thing about a Blaser R8 is that you do not need to purchase an entire second rifle to create another capability. On a Blaser R8 you can change the purpose of your rifle by changing the calibre!
Blaser Rifles are accurate, very accurate. It makes sense to add the option of full match profile barrels for those who want the ultimate degree of precision from their rifle.
All Blaser barrels are match grade, we only have one grade. A Blaser "Match Profile" barrel differs in that it is thicker and heavier throughout its profile. This has some advantages;
- The added weight makes the rifle more stable while it is rested on target, helping to reduce tiny external factors like gusts, heart beat and muscle wobble.
- The added weight and micron perfect geometry of the Blaser match barrel helps to keep the recoil pulse straighter whilst the projectile is still travelling along the bore thereby reducing recoil induced fliers.
- The added diameter adds significant longitudinal stiffness to the barrel. This reduces the amplitude of the 3 axis recoil induced muzzle wave(flip) and lengthens the accuracy node of any given projectile/cartridge combination.
- The added diameter also adds significant radial stiffness to the barrel reducing the detonation induced hypersonic shockwave along the bore axis. The wave is reduced in amplitude and lengthened so its affect on projectile accuracy is reduced and is more predictable. This means easier load development through wider accuracy nodes and easier change to new projectiles/powder etc.
Every Blaser barrel comes with the appropriate magazine insert. If you are changing calibre group, you will also need another bolt head. Check out the attached Calibre overview chart for the calibre groups (left column).
Over the long run, owning several barrels instead of several custom grade full rifles will make your hobby much more cost effective. Don't change the whole rifle, just use the same system, same muscle memory, same safety system, same exquisite trigger, same outstanding ergonomics, same high level of precision and outstanding accuracy.
Every Blaser barrel is match grade. Blaser have no lower quality grade.
The flutes on a Blaser fluted barrel are cut and ground to micron accuracy for the full length of the flute. This perfection of concentricity and mass distribution is what creates the outstanding accuracy of our fluted barrels, even as they heat up. Competitors barrels will cause the POI to shift across the target as the barrel heats and warps, not with a Blaser, the bullet goes where you aim it.
Depending on the barrel length and calibre, fluting shaves off 100-200gm compared to a round barrel and of course gives it a look like no other...
In comparing the dynamics of a Blaser fluted barrel to carbon wrapped barrels, Blaser is the clear winner. A common fact that marketeers of carbon barrels leave out is: that if a carbon barrel is to be as stiff as a steel barrel it needs to be many, many times thicker than steel. A high quality steel barrel with flutes will exhibit none of the problems associated with carbon wrapped barrels and every advantage of micron precise steel at about the same weight of a carbon barrel.
- Heavy profile 22mm muzzle OD makes for an ultra precision properties.
- Plasma Nitride surface treatment of the bore and chamber means less throat and bore erosion resulting n longer accurate barrel life.
- Plasma Nitride surface treatment of the outer surface means less susceptibility to corrosion by oxidisation. It also makes the surface extremely hard, preventing impacts from harming the smooth steel surface.
- Perfectly concentric bore, chamber, barrel and fluting surfaces thanks to Blaser's proprietary hammer forge and finishing processes. Unlike lesser brands, Blaser barrels do not exhibit a loss of precision or POI shift as they heat up due to the micron perfect concentricity of the barrels. Also the Steel used in their construction is of the highest quality and consistency meaning that there are no heat warping problems due to varying steel homogeneity found in lesser brands.
- Blasers unique 360 degree bolt locking interface and self centering bolt head provide perfect cartridge alignment to the bore resulting in better precision and accuracy.
- Fitted with Blaser scope mount detents. The ultimate choice in scope mounts that can be removed and replaced with NO loss of zero, ever.
- Standard length for MI/ST group cartridges is 58cm or shortened to 52cm.
- Standard length for MA group cartridges is 65cm or shortened to 58cm.
- With an appropriate high quality optic it is possible to share one scope over multiple barrels. This can make owning several barrels a very economic over the longer run.
- Magazine insert comes with the barrel
- Shortening incurs a surcharge
- Muzzle threads incur a surcharge
- Round barrels are listed as a separate product, check them out!
- Most match barrels are back ordered with the manufacturer.
Just get hold of us and let us know what your desired barrel is and we'll make it happen!